architect - designer (1935)
Mario Bellini was born in Milan in 1935 where he graduated in architecture in 1959.
In 1962 he opened his own professional studio in Milan and began working as a consultant for Olivetti and some of the most important Italian and international companies.
He deals with different aspects of design, from urban and architectural design to the design of furniture and industrial products. His work as a designer began in 1963 with Olivetti and with Cassina and continued with several Italian and international companies (Artemide, B & B Italia, Brionvega, Cassina, Yamaha, Renault, Rosenthal, Vitra, etc.).
Awarded several times with the Compasso d'Oro and other international awards, he is present with 25 works in the permanent collection of the MoMA Museum of Modern Art in New York, which in 1987 dedicated a personal retrospective to him.
Since the 80s he works mainly in architecture in Europe, Japan, United States. Among his best known works in Italy, we mention the new Portello district of the Milan Trade Fair and the Villa Erba congress center in Cernobbio.
He won two international competitions for the new National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne, now in an advanced state of construction, and for the south-west district of the Essen International Fair, completed in 2001. In the same year he won the competition for the center cultural center of Turin including the new central civic library and a theater.
In the design phase, two office and tertiary buildings are included in the Urban Entertainment Center in Frankfurt and the Italian branch of Natuzzi.
From 1986 to 1991 he was director of Domus, the prestigious international monthly magazine of architecture, design and art.
An art lover, collector, he has often been dedicated to the setting up of art exhibitions. Among the main ones, we mention: "The Treasure of San Marco di Venezia" at the Grand Palais in Paris and in other museums of the world (1984-1987), "The Italian Art in the 20th Century" at the Royal Academy of Arts in London (1989 ), "The Renaissance from Brunelleschi to Michelangelo" at Palazzo Grassi in Venice, then in Paris and Berlin (1994-95), "The Triumphs of the Baroque, Architecture in Europe 1600-1750" in the Stupinigi Hunting Palace in Turin (1999) ).
In October 2000, the Civic Gallery of Contemporary Art in Trento hosted a personal exhibition on the activity of the architect entitled "Mario Bellini: a path between architecture, furniture and machinery", which he set up.